A Traveler's Tales

Being the musings of a alien - temporal and spiritual...

Monday, July 18, 2005

Half-Blood Prince

After reading about a hundred pages of my new book on Sat., I proceeded to simply finish it off over 13 hours on a long, cold, rainy Sun. (I had to get up early to take Daniel to the airport – this added extra reading time. :)) Such practice is, I grant, rather uncharacteristic. I am the sort of person who takes a rather long time to read a book and I therefore don’t normally have time to read a whole one in one sitting (not since about 7th grade, that is :)).

I savored each word, yet couldn’t keep from scarfing up paragraph after paragraph… so I finished the whole thing… I think, maybe, this is what a boa constrictor feels like after eating a whole deer or some such. Anyway, I now feel like talking about it – but I’ll try to keep it to general/cryptic terms for those of you who haven’t finished yet.

At the most basic: I think Em’s theory about the odd-numbered books being best is probably right. This one, while good, wasn’t up to par with, say, books 3 and 5. But it was obviously not awful, either, since I spent all day reading it :).

The cons:
It lacks, in many places, some of the rich detail (without long descriptions) that the other books possess.
It gets stuck in a little bit too much character interaction and not enough action and movement. Yet one facet of interaction conspicuously missing is that between the students and the adults/professors (which I had always liked). Most of the scenes focus solely on the trio and their satellites. Because of this phenomenon, the plot seems “looser” than the others.
And then there’s the ending/climax… I had best keep my commentary to the fact that I saw it coming, but hoped it would be effected in a more favorable manner, since they are my favorite characters. (Yeesh, how’s that for vague?)

The pros:
Harry is not angsty and annoying anymore! He’s actually matured! *and there was much rejoicing* Seriously, this is enough to outweigh much of the cons.
Some of the chapters were real gems. Numbers 22 and 23 set me off philosophizing, which is, for me, the sign of a good novel :).

Random comments:
They need to teach Latin at Hogwarts. That would have prevented a certain… “mistake.”
When I see/hear my name, I assume that I’m the one being referred to, since not many people in the English-speaking world bear it. I am continually weirded out, therefore, when I see it in print and applied to even a minor character.

This concludes my general opinion :). Those of you who are going to read it, please, please, please, finish it soon so we can get on to the more interesting details :).

10 Comments:

  • At Mon Jul 18, 06:51:00 PM CDT, Blogger Ruhamah said…

    I just wish I could have been at Edinburgh castle, which they dressed up as Hogwarts-School-of-Whatever-they-learn-there (I haven't read the book :-) ). At any rate, the castle had torches, dry ice, the works. News photos I saw looked like fun.

     
  • At Tue Jul 19, 10:25:00 PM CDT, Blogger Pinon Coffee said…

    You didn't like it???

    I read it in one day also (though not one sitting...) and I enjoyed it very much.

    I also like the way Harry had matured, in some ways, but, ah, there seemed more "snogging" that strictly necessary. To be sure, at sixteen any snogging is probably unnecessary. Ginny is something else. ::sighs happily at the thought of Ginny, vague Spiderman allusions occurring:::

    The bits with Harry's internal "beast" pleased me, rather. It seemed quite PHC. I think I'll make an away message of it. :-)

    You're right, it's hard to discuss matters properly when people haven't read it. Cheerio, then, for now.

     
  • At Wed Jul 20, 10:12:00 AM CDT, Blogger Gabi said…

    Oh, heavens... I've not made myself clear... I enjoyed the book very much, actually. If I hadn't, I surely wouldn't have spent so much time on it (and then go back and reread portions instead of returning to Island). :)

    I must say that the romantic relationship side of things didn't bug me too much. If you think about it, these kids are in the equivalent of their junior year in college (since they have completed their major tests, entered upper level study, and are expected to graduate and get a job in a year). So it's about time (in their world) that they begin thinking about such things.

    Granted, yes, the "snogging" side of things is a bit much, no matter what age one happens to be. But I can't say that real-life couples sitting practically on top of each other and speaking in low tones and giggles in our "common rooms" are that much more palatable to the senses :).

    As to the "beast" - it was... wonderful... a flash of genius... just so apropos. I shall enjoy reading your away message.

    At least we all should be done with it come the new semester, so we'll be able to discuss it properly over the first freshman meatloaf of the year ;). See ya round :).

     
  • At Wed Jul 20, 11:36:00 AM CDT, Blogger sarah said…

    I am relieved (and a bit surprised, since everyone so far has differed at least a little) to see that I agree with every one of your comments! I can't wait to talk about it in person.

     
  • At Fri Jul 22, 02:49:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tell me something. Is the series worth reading, as a whole? Until now, I have taken the B5 approach - don't start it unless you're gonna finish it. And I'm hesitating about starting it, since I don't want to spend much time reading books I don't like.

     
  • At Fri Jul 22, 09:37:00 AM CDT, Blogger Gabi said…

    Is it worth reading?! Why, of course! :) I would advise that you obtain and read the first three books (they don't get long 'til book 4). Then you can decide the rest for yourself.

    At least: You'll have an interesting subject of conversation handy for use with the (literally) millions of people who enjoy the books.

    At best: You'll receive great pleasure from doing so - light, escapist pleasure... medium-weight complex-twisty-plot pleasure... weighty philosophical pleasure... Yeah, it's all in there.

    I personally started reading the books as something of an intellectual experiment. There's obviously a decent degree of debate among Christians as to whether or not the books are acceptable; I wanted to be able to form my own opinion. So, I read the first book. It seemed just fine, but I'd heard they got darker later (and have seen other series that did that), so I got books two and three. By the end of book two, I was hopelessly hooked....

    So, read at your own risk. ;)

     
  • At Sat Jul 23, 01:53:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations, Gabi, you have managed to scare me off and encourage me at the same time. I'd like to read the series, if only to form my own opinions on it... but I don't want to be in a situation where I'm "hooked" if the later books aren't as good. *vague memories of the WoT series...* I'll have to think about it some more.

     
  • At Sun Jul 24, 05:54:00 AM CDT, Blogger Gabi said…

    Errr... thanks... I think... :)

    If you're worried about it being like WoT, I can heartily assure you that it is not. For one, Rowling is a truly a good author :). She has a wonderful world - and wonderful characters and a superb plot. Secondly, she says that there will be only seven books in the series - no sequels, no prequels, nothing. Thirdly, when Rowling gets compared to Tolkein and Lewis, she really deserves it. She runs a nice "older child, modern world" middle ground between the Chronicles and LoTR.

    The slight downer of a review that I gave the most recent book was mostly for those who already know and adore the series - just saying that this one is not "the best one yet." It's thoroughly on par with the other even-numbered books :).

    Just to keep things above board, I won't say that things don't change at all from the earlier books to the later. The books grow along with Harry (from age 11 to 17 - pretty much from childhood to young adulthood), so the tone and the issues dealt with also change. But not in a bad sort of way.

    When I said I was "hooked" I didn't mean to imply that I wasn't thoroughly happy to be so. :) Hope that removes the scaryness. :)

     
  • At Wed Jul 27, 05:24:00 PM CDT, Blogger Pinon Coffee said…

    Nic-

    Yes...you should read them. :-) The series does grow with Harry. Rowling is a *very* good writer, and she has the education to make it work. If you the reader know Latin, you can tell she knows whereof she was speaking. :-)

    The thing to remember is that Rowling might be a nominal Christian, but her books are *not* deeply, plottedly, inherently Christian. There's (some) Christian content. But she doesn't think like a Christian. ::sigh:: As for the witchcraft issue...she *calls* it that, but I don't think it really *is.* It acts more like an alternate science, in their world--not any sort of communing with demonic forces. So...hope that helps. :-)

     
  • At Thu Jul 28, 09:33:00 AM CDT, Blogger Gabi said…

    Hm. Carolyn, I'd say I disagree in part, if I'm properly understanding you...

    No, the books aren't overtly Christian. They're not even "subvertly" Christian (like, say, Narnia). But the plot does deal with life in a True fashion. In that respect, I'd say her books are just as "Christian" in thought and plot as Tolkien's. In fact... *looks around furtively* I enjoy them more than LoTR, et al. *quickly ducks under desk to avoid flying objects*

    What say you? Did I correctly understand your comment?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home