A Traveler's Tales

Being the musings of a alien - temporal and spiritual...

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Merits of B5, IMNSHO

Eating alone is rather dull – or introspectively contemplative, which is at least as bad. Solitary philosophizing is alright in just about any other context, but it just doesn’t sit well with dinner… I have, therefore, taken to watching TV as I eat my supper, either actually on my TV or TV shows I have saved to my computer. At first, it was almost continually B5, until I realized that if I kept watching at that rate, I’d be finished with it before the summer was half over. So I began “rationing” episodes… but I started too late, I think. I just finished episode 20 (The Long, Twilight Struggle). I don’t think 21 and 22 are going to last to the end of July… :) [Many apologies to Carolyn… if you’ve not made it that far, you may not want to read the rest of this post, though I don’t think it really gives anything away – and I would like to hear your opinion sometime.]

Yet this was the first time I’d watched an episode in about two weeks – and not at all due to my rationing program. The show had changed from the original flavor I had enjoyed and the new one was simply not to my taste. Granted, it’s finally moving full-swing into the plot and we’re just at the point where everyone (separately) has decided that there is a problem, a big problem, and we might not survive it. That is to say, the conflict has been introduced. Yet I have found, as the plot moves along, there is little to commend each episode as an episode. Yes, it furthers the plot. But it is now more like a chapter in a book and does not stand on its own – does not have it’s own rise and fall, does not (particularly in these last episodes) have its own pleasant note. The tone is dreary and sloggy and this has made it easier to watch it less often.

But that’s not, by far, the only reason. There was something about the first season that, while fantastic, was still fairly “real to life” as it goes from day to day. The characters and their actions were three-dimensional, there were real friendships, a touch of humor was generally included, and even the diplomatic negotiations were realistic, if rather condensed…. Yet now it has become… well… I guess you’d call it “epic.” And I’ve decided that “epic” isn’t my favorite thing. It’s more idealistic – it’s all black and white, with little grey left and the “right thing to do” always follows some Kantian categorical imperative. Except, that is, for the one against lying, since almost everybody is keeping back important information they ought to share. This negates the former likeability of the characters and the possibility of good friendships. To mitigate this, we have, for example Delenn’s revelation of information she should have published a long time beforehand to persuade Sheridan to do a thing he should have done about 15 minutes into the episode. And now these two, Sheridan and Delenn, the two most idealistic characters, are quickly becoming the center of attention – the (very sickeningly sweet) “dream team” in charge of saving life, the universe, and everything. It’s enough to make one take a sabbatical.

So that’s precisely what I did. In the meantime I enjoyed other TV greats like Lost and Stargate (SG-1 – I just don’t like the characters on Atlantis), but particularly the latter. [Incidentally, anybody know where I can get a hold of the last four or so episodes of this first season of Lost?] SG-1 was a nice antidote to my B5 blues. It is episodic (in that each episode has its own climax and denouement) but there’s also an overarching storyline (complete with subplots) that is advanced through each one. The good guys normally win in the end, though not always, keeping it from being too predictable. Yes, there are definite “good guys” and “bad guys” – and folks in between. There is a Cause to fight for, but, fortunately, each person does so in a different way. The four main characters vary from the idealistic “Let’s have peace with everyone and failing that save everyone’s life!” to the “That’s not practical. It is expedient for the Cause that they/you/I should die.” (The authors, many blessings on their heads, favor neither view.) Among these four characters, the absolute importance of friendship and love is a strong theme. In short, it’s a very satisfying sort of program to watch.


Well, that’s rather more than I first intended to write, but I think it’s right for getting the point across :). I doubt I’ve made it through this without ruffling some feathers somewhere… though I can’t really say I’m sorry for it. Whether ruffled or not, I’d love to hear your opinion :).

Oh, and [never fear, Carolyn] this doesn’t mean I’m not going to continue to watch B5. I didn’t start watching the thing for its artistic merits… so that is sure not going to stop me :).

5 Comments:

  • At Wed Jun 29, 05:00:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hear the man, Gabi. He speaks truth. (Though, for me, I was glad when the pace changed. Different perspectives, I guess. :) )

     
  • At Thu Jun 30, 09:56:00 AM CDT, Blogger Gabi said…

    Yes, Nathan, different strokes for different folks, definitely... You can have the new style, I'll take the old. You can also have Dr. Stacey while you're at it and I'll take Dr. Mitchell. :)

    I do rather expect some changes to complexify things in the future. And after all, the show's saving grace, Ivanova, is still around, if to a lesser degree :). ...And I'm still living in hope of seeing something rotten happen to Kosh - I dislike him and find it peevesome that none of the characters do.

     
  • At Tue Jul 05, 04:11:00 PM CDT, Blogger E E Holmes said…

    Heh heh... I didn't like Kosh either. Ivanova I liked only for her blessedly ballancing pessimism. I don't think you've been introduced to my favorite character yet. Despite his undying romanticism, which I have trouble relating to, Marcus Cole's mildly dry Brit Wit upped him to the top of my list. Now if only they could have created a character that was a cross between the two...

    I haven't seen all of LOST season one yet, either. The last episode I saw at school was "Numbers" (Hurly's episode) and from there I had to jump to watching the season finale at home on television.

    You have the exact opposite opinion on SG than Cassie. She liked Atlantis for the characters but didn't really care for SG-1. I think I've found myself somewhere in the middle.

     
  • At Sun Jul 10, 10:14:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My family has been watching a show called "Numbers" and I've found it quite interesting. You might take a look at it.

     
  • At Fri Jul 15, 08:33:00 PM CDT, Blogger Campeador said…

    Ok, just for the record: Marcus is the best character in the show. He's tough, cool, romantic, humourous (UK style), dry, sarcastic, cynical and well read. Marcus is pretty much ideal (which might explain the S4 ending).

    Kosh is also a very fun character. I personally enjoyed his position in the story and general personality much more than the usual mentor figure identity (like Yoda). Just ask Magnus if you're interested in more of my Koshian views. ;)

    Anyway, that's my two cents.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home