A Traveler's Tales

Being the musings of a alien - temporal and spiritual...

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Pensees

I was in Jurmala, the seaside resort town, again the other day for a conference. I arrived very early (I don’t want to know how fast the driver was going) and had time to stroll around outside, enjoying the beach-y morning. There is a forest that comes right up to the beach, and as I walked through it, I breathed in gulps of clean, piney air. My footsteps on the path were the only sound. And it occurred to me… I really do love the country, the more rural areas of the world. But would I want to give up life in Riga for it? And this got me thinking…

Sometimes I have a hard time deciding what to do (believe it or not :)). Generally this is because I'm happy with so many things it becomes hard to make a choice.

For instance, I like the city and the country. I like the country's quiet, it's clean air, and its natural beauty. I like the city's bustle, the fact that everything is near to hand, and that all I have to do is walk out my door and let the sidewalk carry me around the corner to some adventure. I like most any climate as well, since I don't really hate any of the seasons. I like rolling grassy hills, the desert, mountains (be they Appalachians or Alps), and the sea.

I suppose that all this is a good reason to join the Foreign Service – you know, move around, see the world – all that jazz. Because I like all these things (and they're not all found in one place), I don't know that I could permanently live anywhere – at least, not without significant time spent traveling. I can be happy everywhere, but fully satisfied nowhere. (Granted, Northern Virginia contains most of the things I love: you have rural country and DC, you have all four seasons, you have hills, mountains, and ocean. It's the best place I've found so far.)

I suppose this is probably a trait I have learned through multiple moves and much travel. I've pretty much come to believe that there is no place on earth that is a whole lot better than any other (with, perhaps, the exception of the aforementioned section of VA). "Home" has never been linked to a geographical location and the things that come with it. So I can feel at home anywhere... kinda... “Home" has always been linked to family and friends – community. These are the only ties that could bind me to a certain spots on the globe for a long time. It is they that make living anywhere worthwhile; without them, life in the most wonderful paradise would be dull, at best. Yet the difficulty about moving around a lot is that community is hard to achieve...

So which do I choose? Do I make a "home" for myself? Or do I indulge my wanderlust and travel the globe? Are the two really mutually exclusive or can I, as my immediate family has done, have both - a sort of "nomadic home?" That would be ideal...

*sigh* Decisions, decisions...

1 Comments:

  • At Wed Jul 06, 08:27:00 PM CDT, Blogger E E Holmes said…

    I forgot to mention that I did receive the... lovely... gilded birthday card on either the day of or the day after the big day (it's all a bit fuzzy at this point). Thank you for the translation- very much. I appreciated the card even more since I actually knew what it said! :) My mom got a carved wooden jewelry box from my friend Greg's family for Christmas or something- since his dad's been working in Uzbekistan- with an inscription on it in something that looks like it could be Russian... or something. He refused to tell her what it said, so we've made up various inventive interpretations. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home